The life, and death, of Matt’s iPhone.

If you happen to be on my Facebook or MSN friends lists, you may have seen my user status.  My iPhone is no more.  It had a beautiful life – one which was cut unfairly short.  The story of the death of my iPhone is truly a tale of woe.  Let me start at the beginning.

I got my iPhone the day it came out, July 11, 2008.  I loved how slick and pretty it looked, and knew I would want to keep it that way.  However, none of the protective cases carried by Rogers seems satisfactory.  They had rubberized ones, that covered up the prettiness of it, those wouldn’t do.  They had leather ones, but those fit too tight, and made the phone difficult to get at.  Plus, I worried that if a small rock or piece of dirt got inside, the pressure of the case against the phone might cause the offending dirt to scratch the screen.  In the end, I decided to keep my phone in my pocket, and be very careful to keep it safe and clean.

in the middle of August, I made a trip to Vancouver, to see Radiohead in concert.  During this trip, James, Graham, and I made a trip to the Apple store at Pacific Centre.  As I browsed the cases I saw it.  the case of my dreams.  Leather casing, elastic strapping, to make phone easy to remove, but still securely held, a screen protector to ensure that the screen would remain safe from all of life’s little mishaps, cleaning cloth, and a belt clip that was adaptible with over 25 different clips available for purchase, to allow for all one’s clipping needs.  All for the very reasonable price of $24.99.  I was in love. I bought it on the spot, and my phone found its new place on my belt moments later.

I should have known trouble was brewing that evening.  I ghad been wearing my case all day, and after riding the ferry back to Victoria, had to return to my car before docking.  I drive a car that sits quite low to the ground, that requires one to bend a little more than normal to get in.  As I sat down, disaster struck – the clip broke completely off my iPhone case, and I watched as the phone dropped to the steel floor of the car deck.  I picked it up, and inspected the damage – the case was broken, but the phone was fine – and the case could be fixed.  I chalked it up to a learning experience, and the next day, used a significant amount of Krazy Glue to re-attach the clip to the case.  When all was said and done, the clip was fastened more securely than it was in the first place. The clip was never coming off again.

This is how things continued for the following month. my iPhone rode around on my belt, sitting happily and securely in its case, protected from all the dangers of the world.

Sunday, September 7th, 2008.  1:55 AM.  The day will live infamy.  It had been a great night.  It was Duncan’s birthday and we were out that the Strath, for a night of drinks and dancing.  My iPhone joined us for the fun, and,  nestled securely in its case, watched, as we shared rounds of shots and good times on the dance floor.  The night began winding down, and we decided that we ought to go find ourselves some pizza at a local late night pizza joint, frequented by those people who stumble into the cold night air, as the clubs shut their doors.   As we walked to the pizza place, I was challenged by another member of our group to a race.  Who could make it to the next intersection first?  Clearly I could, so I accepted, and began to run.  I failed to realize, however, that my iPhone was feeling the effects of this night of excess more than I was, and wanted no part in any such endeavour.  On the second foot-fall it unhooked itself from my belt, and sailed through the air towards the street below.  It landed, and used the force of the impact to free itself from the confines of its case. I watched in horror, as it skidded, screen-down, fifteen feet, coming to rest at the base of a lamp post.  I ran to its side, and picked it up, holding it gingerly, so as not to worsen it’s injuries.  The chrome rim of the screen had several scuff marks, and the screen protector was dinged and gashed, but the phone seemed mostly ok.  I tried to wake it, by pressing the home button, and reeled in horror at the site that presented itself.  Vertical lines, in rainbow colours. “NO!” I turned it off, and back on.  More brightly coloured vertical lines.  My iPhone was no more.  I turned it off, and placed it back in its case. Upon returning home, I lay it to rest in it’s usual spot, atop my PC tower.

So long, iPhone, we barely knew ye.


Matt’s iPhone, July 11, 2008 – Sept 7, 2008

“A screen so vibrant, the world could not bear to keep it”


8 Responses to “The life, and death, of Matt’s iPhone.”

  1. 1 Misty
    September 8, 2008 at 10:51 am

    Awwwww 😦
    *sheds a single tear*

  2. 2 jtaylor
    September 8, 2008 at 12:21 pm

    A much better story than “oh my iPhone broke, whine whine whine.”

  3. 3 CornCob
    September 8, 2008 at 2:35 pm

    we are sorry for your loss, she was a good woman.

  4. 4 Kkief02
    September 8, 2008 at 4:16 pm

    Poor Matt. You iPhone was too good for this realm. Let it rest in peace.

  5. 6 LS
    September 12, 2008 at 6:01 am

    I’ll be your iPhone, Matt! =D

  6. September 12, 2008 at 9:45 am

    I appreciate the sentiment, but I’m not sure I want to be involved with you on a “touch-interface” level.

  7. 8 RAIC
    November 5, 2008 at 4:45 pm

    I do hope that you did have a good Reinhardt Skip nontheless…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: